The Holiday season is upon us, and that means one thing: making lists of things you hope to get from other people, which when you start you think “oh, I don’t think I really need anything” but then 20 minutes later your greedy mind glazes over and your hungry, bloodshot and consuming eyes pour over more and more things you NEED AT THIS VERY MOMENT. Every year, like clock work.
While making this tumultuous list, I realized that most of my “want” items revolve around the kitchen this year. Which is really a win win for me (cool new stuff) and you (getting to read all about my trials and tribulations….and victories….with my new items). Which reminds me, I really need to can more items. Perhaps pickles or jam for gift giving this year? Because I’m sure everyone has on their list “homemade canned items from novice self-deprecating bloggist”
- Gather Journal
- A NEW subscription to Lucky Peach (mine just ran out this month wahh wahh)
- Cast Iron Skillet (pre seasoned, of course)
- Short Course in Beer: An Introduction to Tasting and Talking about the World’s Most Cilivized Beverage by Lynn Hoffman
- The World Atalas of Beer: The Essential Guide to the Beers of the World by Tim Webb
- Home Made by Yvette van Boven
- Fire in My Belly: Real Cooking by Kevin Gillespie (another Top Chef alum…I LOVE THAT SHOW)
- Alain Ducasse Nature: Simple, Healthy, and Good by Alain Ducasse (obvs)
- An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer (not necessarily in this color and size)
- Large Dutch Oven (mine is small)
- Anything from Terrain (this is one of those online stores I wish I never heard about or signed up for their email list, because I just PINE over everything)
- New Flatware (I haven’t decided on anything special yet) because everything just tastes BETTER when eating off cool utensils
- Truffle Oil (Black, White, it doesn’t matter, I don’t see color, just integrity)
- McClure’s Pickles (I just can’t bring myself to spend $10 for a jar…but I think I’m reaching my breaking point)
- Trips to the following domestic cities: Traverse City, anywhere in Maine, D.C., New Orleans, Austin, San Francisco, Napa, Portland, Sonoma, or somewhere cool in Montana.
- Trips to the following international countries: all of them. All of the countries. But when getting into particulars: Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Portugal, Morocco, and South Africa.
- And remember, these trips aren’t exclusive. I would happily accept a trip anywhere. ANYWHERE.
- A hybrid car (alright, this list needs to end)
So these are the things I want. I don’t need them, I just want them.